Back for more action!

 Our good friend John Ogle from California came back with us after a year of extensive planning and waiting.  Last year with us he caught his first Marlin then came back out a few days after with some friends and landed a 552 lb Marlin! On the way in from that we had a double going for little while but both fell off the hook.

So for a year John has been waiting to bring his family back for some fishing. He was really into the idea of doing a tournament together while he was here! So he made all the arrangements and we we lucky enough to enter the Kona Shootout! It’s apart of the Hawaiian Billfish Seriers which is a series of awesome tournaments.  The Kona Shootout is a 3 day tournement with amazing prizes. Throughly each day every couple hours they gave something awesome away.

We decided it would be smart to go out for a couple hours the day before to go threw the motions so everybody was on the same page. John brought along his father John, his son John Michael, his wife Brandi, and his step mom Margaret. We we a great team and ready for what the weekend held in store for us.

On the first day we were the first boat to hook up! We hooked up to a nice marlin! John jumped into the chair and began his battle. Everything was going smoothly we were gaining line after a few minutes then the fish came up for some radical jumps and threw the hook! It was a bummer but that’s okay we had the rest of the day. We tried our best but had no further luck fish was very hard at this time for the fleet.

Second day we hooked up first thing in the morning again but this time to two tunas! John Sr. jumped in the chair and in a tournemnt the other angler had to fight his fish in stand up gear!!! The duo faughy there fish and it was the most intense action ever! Having to change sides to avoid tangles. We got the first fish to the boat and landed it but when it came to the second one everything went well gaffed the fish in the head but when it happened it came to life and thrashed everywhere causing it to tear off the gaff and get away. The Ahi we landed was a qualifier weighing in at 106lbs! This tuna ended up being the only qualifing fish of the tourney!

On the final day we had no luck going all day without any bites. All in all this was an experience of a lifetime for all of us!! We had an among time at the tourney the also gave away some of the best prizes we have seen. Looking forward to the next time we fish together!


Comments are closed.